Tuesday 12 January 2010

Organising the Kitchen

This morning my mind is attuned to organising the kitchen better so it fits my needs. Unfortunately the rest of me is not so in tune to this objective as I’m back in bed already having made a cup of tea, a piece of toast (gluten free of course) and loaded the dishwasher. In fact I should be at work but I’m still too ill I hope to be well enough to go tomorrow.


Here is how the kitchen looked this morning
That’s after I loaded the dishwasher! Hardly conducive to making wonderful meals or chatting with friends, two years ago I formed a plan to rework the whole kitchen and dining room into one big space and I still yearn for that but M has not responded to this wish and the money that was earmarked for the project has disappeared on other things. So now I want to make some change on a very low or nil budget.

I’ve been feeling disenfranchised in my own kitchen and in the last few months I have been reclaiming it whenever I have been well enough to cook. In 2007, 2008 and a good part of 2009 I have been so exhausted just trying to get through my working day that M has been making all our meals he’s been a life saver.

Now I am quite a bit better I feel like I must be six inches shorter, how this happened I don’t know, but reaching up to get things seems impossible, sorting out to find ingredients that may be at the back of the cupboard is such a challenge and worst when M empties the dishwasher he will often put dishes actually on top of the Kitchen cupboards where they are lost to me forever or at least until I am prepared to climb on to a chair to get them.

So my action plan for January is to try at least get the things that I plan to use regularly where I can reach them easily.

Here my cappuccino cup is on the top shelf needed for my regular weekend treat but such an effort to get to. With only two of us generally at home now do I really need this many plates in my easy access space?















This cupboard is not as accessible as it looks at first glance it is situated above the dishwasher and microwave and extends right to the window over some inaccessible worktop near the draining board.


Wish me luck I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment