Monday 11 January 2010

I wanted to be in Cornwall

I planned to go to Cornwall this weekend to see my friend Jean; she lives in Polperro it’s not too far from Plymouth. The problem was twofold firstly the weather or should I say the weather spin doctors yes the UK had more snow last week than it has seen in 30 years and yes apparently we are running out of grit for roads but in my day things slowed down in snow they did not stop. We went to school, trains mostly ran, buses were late but rarely cancelled. Then secondly there was the forecast more snow for the South & West for Sunday afternoon and evening, just when we were planning to be travelling back! On the news everything was cancelled most football matches, only one Guinness Premiership Rugby match went ahead Leicester & Wasps most of these were cancelled not because the pitches or the grounds were unsafe but because Local Authorities could not be assured that “the public” would not be injured on frozen roads and pavements so advice was that all but essential travel should be postponed. Now we have a 4x4 but none the less the other half declared that our weekend should be put off until next week. I am quite certain that if he really wanted to go we would have he was trained in Arctic survival by the Royal Marines after all, but no I was deemed too fragile to travel in such conditions.  For real snow travel problem check this out.


Well I might not have minded being stuck there for a few days back in 2002 I went down on my own I remember then that I woke up on the 4th January and there was quite thick ice on the inside of the windows, last year Jean had some new heaters installed and double glazing done so now life is much more comfortable for her. But she has seen no family or friends at all over the Christmas period and I very much wanted to bring a little seasonal cheer.


Any way my fragility was proven when on Saturday afternoon I started sneezing, I have a classic head cold and I am still suffering this morning not well enough to go to work, they will probably think that I’m still living it up in Cornwall whereas I’m tucked in bed with a hot water bottle, a good book and a laptop for company.


I will leave you with a picture taken very close to home on 6th January, as I said the most snow for 30 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment